Monday, June 8, 2009

Good books! & Good insight!

As our family reading book we have been reading "the little house on the prarie" series. I have really enjoyed them! and my children have really enjoyed them also! : )

We have been reading "Farmer Boy". Which is the third book in the series. It gives such good insight of how it was back in the 1870's and 1880's. I would like to share one of my favorite quotes... "Haste makes waste, but a lazy man'd rather get his work done fast than do it himself. ... All it saves is time, son. And what good is time, with nothing to do?"

I have been thinking about that quote and our daily tasks, ie: loading and unloading the dishwasher, etc. If I would just wash the dishes I could use them right away versus if i put them in the dishwasher I have to wait for three hours before they are done.

The other thing I have thought about in this book is that the cobbler (shoe maker) would come to your house and stay with you and make you shoes to fit your foot perfectly or the school teacher would live with each of the students families for two weeks and rotate through the whole class. Then the term would be over. It was a different lifestyle. But I like it more than our disconnected society now. I don't even see my neighbors and they are just a hop skip and a jump away.

No comments: