Friday, June 27, 2008

Watch Less TV!

OK This is my second post about Television...

In Sunday School there was a thought given that has made me think and ponder about it's ramifications, paraphrasing, "Isn't it amazing how such a small group of people have such a large effect on society." The small group of people that is spoken about is "Hollywood", meaning the actors and actresses that we recognize by face and name. How there "extracurricular" activities and/or TV shows shine as "normal" which most of which are morally wrong. Our "community" as a whole has digressed, I feel, because our standard is set to what Hollywood is. Instead of a good moral compass, as it were.
To illustrate: When our son was younger I checked out the movie Toy Story from the Library for us to watch. About 20 minutes into the movie I noticed that he, my son, was crying. I asked him what was wrong? With tears in his eyes he looked at me and said there is no Dad in this movie. I sat there stunned rehearsing the whole movie in my mind. There was no Dad! Was I that desensitized! I apologized to my son and promptly turned off the movie.
With this statement in Sunday School I have been thinking more and more about it. Actors and Actresses are a "product". They are doing the job they have chosen as their profession. Since they themselves are the product, anything they do off the screen and on is recognized and published. We as a society can not make them change or make them turn down an inappropriate part. So we as a society need to not buy/watch any of the smut that is broadcast. If we stop watching and reading it, they, meaning Hollywood, will stop making it. They can't afford not to. It is a business after all!

No comments: