Monday, August 18, 2008

Kneading Bread

So, a few months ago, my wife read an article by a doctor that warned against all the evils of high fructose corn syrup in our modern (read: highly processed) diet. Apparently the stuff is evil, and it has now been banned from our house.

You wouldn't believe how difficult the transition has been. That stuff is in everything. Seriously. It is ridiculoous. We've found high fructose corn syrup in most yogurts, breads, ice creams, jams and jellies, applesauces, animal crackers - basically in everything nabisco makes - in many breakfast cereals, in granola bars, and even in saltine crackers for cryin' out loud. Why, I ask, in the name of all that is natural and decent, do we need high fructose corn syrup in crackers?!? The list could go on and on.

Anyway, after months of buying small loaves of "100% natural" bread for about $3.44 a loaf, I am finished. Last Tuesday I made my first two loaves of bread ever. I did it again on Saturday and actually got them to rise to a decent size, and I am doing it again tomorrow. Soon I will embark on a bread pan purchasing bonanza and begin a large scale operation. Sarah Lee can shove it. I'm making my own.

Later this fall I'm buying a wheat grinder. Maybe next year I'll even buy a cow...


P.S.: Anyone got any good (and easy) whole grain bread recipes?

No comments: