Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Pop Statistics in Legal Studies of VBAC

I am currently working on an annotated bibliography regarding the legal issues surrounding VBAC’s. It is amazing the trends that I have discovered throughout the process!

Consider this – studies have shown (sorry, they’ll have to go uncited at this time. I’m frankly too busy to even be writing this post – but here I am anyway) – ok, where was I – yes, inducing labor in women who have had prior cesarean sections significantly increases the risk of uterine rupture. Significantly.

So, here I am reading cases that involve women suing their physicians because an attempted VBAC ended in uterine rupture and ultimately either killed or left the infant severely handicapped for the rest of their lives. While the specific facts differ in every case, one fact is common to EVERY case I have read. You guessed it – in every single instance the labor was induced. In most of these cases the fact the labor was induced with a woman attempting VBAC is not even discussed as a material factor in the case, yet the very fact of labor induction with a VBAC candidate should present a colorable claim for malpractice in and of itself, IMO.

No comments: