Saturday, January 30, 2010

High Fructose Corn Syrup - a simple case study

A couple of years ago, our family began trying to cut High Fructose Corn Syrup (“HFCS”) out of our lives. Doing so has been pretty difficult, as we have found the stuff even in crackers, but we feel that doing so is important to our long term health.

 

The other day, I received the below email from a close friend who has had a pretty interesting experience regarding HFCS. Although the experience below is only a single, individual experience, I think it is nonetheless a telling experience. Enjoy…

 


 

Thought you might find this interesting. Last August my doctor told me that I'm diabetic. My A1c was 8.7% and it should be at 6.5 or lower. In the morning before eating my blood sugar should be between 80-130 and 2 hours after eating between 140-160. These numbers are not absolute, that is, the lower the better. According to my doctor back when I was in the corps by blood sugar reading was probably around 80 -90 all the time. He put me on a satin drug since then my A1c has dropped to 6.5, by blood sugar readings in the morning are in the 1teens or 120's and at night often in the 90's.

Now for my story. 4 weeks ago on a Monday morning my blood sugar reading was 145. I'm thinking all I had to eat yesterday evening was 2 cheeseburgers, salsa and chips, what the *&^^%$. Next day it's back down. The following Monday by blood sugar is 147. Once again I'm thinking all I had last night was steak, mashed potatoes and vegetables, what the(&*^%$ is going on? Then I get to thinking about this talk I heard where the guy giving it said that eating high fructose corn syrup is like swallowing straight fat. He had a bunch of charts showing how much more fatting that sugar it is. He went so far as to call it poison. He also said the only reason that there is a big campaign going on telling people that it's no different than sugar is because it's cheaper to manufacture. So I get to thinking. On the cheeseburgers and steak I drowned the meat in a discount barbecue sauce that was loaded with high fructose corn syrup. come Sunday evening I again have 2 cheeseburgers with chips, no barbecue sauce and  on Monday morning my blood sugar was 118. Next Sunday I have the steak, potatoes, vegetable routine no barbecue sauce next morning my blood sugar was 128. I thought you were alittle off the wall about HFCS, but the blood sugar meter doesn't lie. One other thing I found interesting in this guys speech was he said that if you ever wonder why on a hot day if you drink a Coke or Pepsi your thirst never seems to be satisfied it's because in regular Coke and Pepsi they load it up with salt so you'll drink more trying to quench your thirst and they hide the taste of the salt with high amounts of HFCS. I took a look at a Coke and Pepsi can and the guy was telling the truth. More and more large corporations don't care what they do as long as it puts money in their pockets. Just goes to show you how much you have to stay on top of things these days.

No comments: